Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's been a long time coming...

I realize that it has been over a year since I've written. What a year it has been! Spoiler Alert: I am typing this as I hold my beautiful 6 month old son. That's right- our first IVF attempt worked! So, why haven't I written in so long? Well, there is an answer...but it's a long one. It was too hard. Yes, this journey resulted in a healthy, happy, amazing little baby boy, but there was a whole lot that happened since the journey began. On July 12, 2010, I woke early to head to the clinic for my beta (blood test for pregnancy.) The nurse asked me my phone number and said the results would take about 2 hours. I requested that she not call me until the afternoon when J and I would be home. She looked at me puzzled and said,
"But, don;t you want to know as soon as possible?" My response was,
"I do, but if it's not good news, I can't handle it until my husband gets home." She agreed to wait. About 2 hours later, my cell phone rang. I looked at the screen. It read, "Dr. D Cell." I knew right away! I answered it and Dr. D said,
"How's my pregnant patient doing?" I yelled,
"Am I pregnant?"
"Oh, you're VERY pregnant." What did that mean? It meant my beta numbers were triple the standard. So, we assumed both embryos had implanted and we were having twins. A week later, I went for my first ultrasound. Sure enough, we saw 2 embryonic sacs. We were so excited! At the next appointment, we got the shocker of a lifetime!!!
"Here's one heartbeat." The ultrasound tech said, "and here's another." She stopped. "Dr. D, are you seeing this?" She said very calmly.
"I sure am." He said. "It looks like identical twins."
The first thought that came across my mind was that only 1 embryo implanted and that it had split into identicals.
"Wait. There's only 2, right?" I asked.
"Nope. 3!' Dr. D responded.
3? Triplets? The only adequate response to that is, "O. M. G!"

No comments:

Post a Comment